Lancaster and St. Louis, PLLC
Schedule a Consultation Today
Call: 704-743-4204
View Our Practice Areas

Who gets the house in a military divorce?

The United States military provides plenty of living assistance for its members and their families. Whether your family lives on the base or off it, you are probably receiving some help from the government for your rent and expenses. When your family goes through a big change like a divorce, you may be curious how that assistance might change as well.

There are two main factor that determines who gets the housing assistance:

  • Who will have custody of the children (if there are any)
  • Whether just one or both spouses are service members

Your role in the family and in the military could determine your living situation after the divorce.

One service member

If only one spouse is in the military, they are the one who will keep any housing assistance the family has been receiving. This may be in the form of on-base housing or a Base Allowance for Housing (BAH) to help pay rent and utilities. The non-military spouse does not receive any assistance after the divorce.

The service member cannot live in family housing alone, so unless they retain custody of the children, everyone will have to vacate the house within 30 days.

Two service members

After the divorce, both spouses retain their housing assistance. The amount can change depending on their rank, location and whether they have custody of their children.

There are two levels of BAH, with a higher amount going to service members with children than those without.

  • If two divorcing service members have joint custody, they will receive the higher amount for the time that they have their children.
  • If one spouse does not have custody at all, they will receive the lower amount.
  • If the couple has no children, both will continue to receive the lower amount.

Divorce can already be a complicated transition, and factoring in the military can make it even harder. Understanding how your divorce will affect you and your family can help prepare you for the changes you’re facing.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information


"As a dad in a child custody case, I was very scared that I would not get enough parenting time with my young daughter. But, these two attorneys believed in me and helped me get a 50/50 week on/off schedule from the Judge for my daughter. Their hard work and determination blew me away, and I am forever grateful." -F.

Read More
Email Us For A Response

Guiding Your Family Forward

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Lancaster and St. Louis, PLLC
891 Central Drive NW
Concord, NC 28027

Phone: 704-743-4204
Fax: 704-792-1279
Concord Law Office Map

Lancaster and St. Louis, PLLC

Contact us