Divorce is hard—no matter how you slice it. An important chapter of your life is closing, and whether you’re experiencing heartbreak or resentment, one thing is for certain: you’re stressed.
Compared to custody battles and legal fees, stress may not seem like big deal. But stress can impact virtually every aspect of your life. It can cause anxiety and depression. It can lead to heart disease. It can cause breakouts and hair loss. It can even lead to sexual dysfunction.
When going through an inherently stressful process like divorce, the little ways in which we care for ourselves can have a huge effect on our wellbeing over the long term. It may be tempting to binge on chips or pizza to dull the emotional pain. But there are certain foods that can actually help you reduce your stress. Here are a few ways you can snack your way out of stress:
- Chocolate: Dark chocolate is extremely high in antioxidants, which can reduce stress by neutralizing free radicals. It has also been proven to improve your mood.
- Oatmeal cookies: Eating oatmeal increases the body’s levels of serotonin—the feel-good chemical that contributes to happiness. Because it is a complex carbohydrate, oatmeal’s effects on serotonin are long lasting.
- Oranges: Oranges are rich in vitamin C, which can reduce stress by lowering blood pressure as well as the stress hormone, cortisol.
- Nuts: Eating nuts can help decrease inflammation in the heart’s arteries and lower the effects of stress. It can also protect against depression and stress hormone surges.
- Guacamole: Avocados are even higher in potassium than bananas. This mineral can effectively reduce blood pressure.
Divorce is an all-consuming, taxing process. While you can’t eat your way out of your problems, being deliberate about the nutrients you consume can help to lessen your burden. The right foods can support you physically and emotionally during a difficult time.