Concord Child Custody Modification Lawyer

Home |  Concord Child Custody Modification Lawyer

Concord Child Custody Modification Attorney

Life Changes. So Can Your Child Custody or Visitation Order?

Over time, your life may change dramatically from when you received your child custody and visitation order. It may now be necessary to pursue a child custody modification to suit your family’s current circumstances. A Concord child custody lawyer can help you do so.

Lancaster and St. Louis, PLLC, represents clients in Concord who are interested in custody or visitation modification. Our skilled and experienced family law attorneys have a comprehensive understanding of North Carolina law. We can help you obtain the modifications that you need.

When Can I Petition for A Modification?

Family courts in North Carolina base child custody and visitation orders on a couple’s circumstances at the time of the original custody and visitation or divorce order. After several months or years, you may wish to change an existing order to suit your present needs if there has been a substantial change in circumstances which impact the health and well-being of your children.

You may wish to seek a modification if:

  • You or the other parent is relocating
  • Your ex is not obeying the custody or visitation order
  • You fear that your child is in danger of abuse
  • Your former spouse is abusing drugs or alcohol
  • The current arrangement disrupts the child’s life

If you and the child’s other parent agree to the modifications, the court will typically grant the modification. If the two of you disagree, though, the court will issue a ruling based on the best interests of the child if there has been a showing of a substantial change in circumstances.

You will have to demonstrate in court that your child’s living situation has changed significantly and that modifying an existing order is in your child’s best interests. Our lawyers can represent you in court and attempt to obtain the changes that you need.

What Should I Not Say During a Custody Battle?

It’s extremely important to be mindful of what you say as you advance a custody battle, especially when in a legal setting or communicating with your ex-spouse. Disparaging remarks about the other parent could be seen unfavorably by members of the court and could also be used against you as evidence of your character.

It’s also important to avoid discussing specific details with your kids about the divorce or custody proceedings, as they could share information with the other parent that could be misinterpreted. A Concord child custody lawyer can help you communicate effectively with all parties involved without posing any risks to your case.

Should You Talk to Your Ex During a Custody Battle?

Whether or not to have conversations with your ex during a custody battle will depend on the type of relationship that exists. If both parties are able to speak civilly on issues such as child custody and visitation without hostility or judgment, then having these discussions could be helpful to the case.

If needed, a family lawyer can help you draft a parenting plan that outlines different communication guidelines that should be followed. In any scenario in which communication could impact a custody order, a Concord visitation attorney can help ensure that your communication topics and channels are aligned with any court orders and will not jeopardize an active custody case or your parental rights.

Are Concord Child Custody Lawyers Expensive?

There isn’t a universal price for child custody attorney services, but you can ask a lawyer about their fees during an initial consultation. A general consideration is that the more complex your case might be, the longer it will carry on and generate more time spent by an attorney on your matter.

While cost can be stressful, especially if your attorney charges by the hour, you should weigh these fees with the long-term implications of your divorce outcome. At Lancaster and St. Louis. PLLC in Concord, NC, we take a balanced, measured approach to fee structure and billing.

Contact Us To Discuss Modifying An Existing Order

You can contact the Concord office of Lancaster and St. Louis, PLLC if you are interested in modifying your child custody or visitation order. Call 704-792-1277, or send us an email.

Contact Us

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.